About Anna University
ANNA UNIVERSITY WAS ESTABLISHED ON 4TH SEPTEMBER 1978 as a unitary type of university to promote teaching and research in the field of Engineering, Technology,
Architecture and Applied Sciences by bringing together the following famous institutionsin Madras city (now Chennai).
• College of Engineering, Guindy (CEG), established in 1794
• Alagappa College of Technology (ACT), established in 1944
• Madras Institute of Technology (MIT), established in 1949
• School of Architecture and Planning (SAP), established in 1957
Considering its excellent growth the Government of Tamilnadu in December 2001 upgraded it to affiliating type by attaching Engineering Colleges in Tamil Nadu.
True to its image as a premier technical institution in the country, Anna University Chennai constantly strives for excellence in education, research and societal service through highly dedicated and competent teachers who are also expert researchers in various emerging and cutting edge technologies.
The aims of the University are:
• To constantly raise the quality of engineering education to produce superior human resource to match rapid technological developments,
• To share its academic experience and infrastructure with other institutions for providing quality education across the state and help students to fulfill their dreams,
• To uphold the highest ethical and professional standards while imparting engineering education and while fulfilling its obligations to students and staff and
• To serve the society with technological advancement and actively take part in building knowledge-based society.
Anna University Chennai has two major campus: the main campus on 185 acres of land is centrally located in Guindy and the MIT campus encompassing 56 acres of land is in chromepet, 15 kms from the Main Campus. Both these campuses accommodate about 1700 members of the staff and 19,000 students. There is also a small campus at tharamani 5 kms from the Main Campus. It houses 3000 sq.m. with advanced Biotechnology facilities, one of the best in the country. Further, 38.27 acres of land adjacent to the Main Campus has been provided by Government of Tamil Nadu for immediate expansion.
Anna University Chennai offers 45 UG programmes (including 15 Part-Time Programmes), 5 M.Phil Programmes under Science and Humanities and Ph.D in all Engineering and Technology discipliners including Applied Sciences and Humanities. Anna University Chennai has eight faculties and each faculty is headed by a chairman.Anna University Chennai has 30 University Departments and 44 Autonomous Centres with well equipped research laboratories and infrastructural facilities. These Departments and Centres attract international attention through their research potential and receive funds from Government agencies and other private agencies including industries.